Nowadays, in the age of Smart Grids, power systems are getting more complicated in order monitor and avoid system down time. End users /operators require the ability to control everything from big substations to small hangover substations; even to each MV cabinet or recloser located in remote areas such as at a consumer site or along power lines.
So do you meet these requirement within a reasonable cost especially in existing substations, MV cabinets where installation space is very limited.
Solution with ReSy 104 + PLC
The ReSy 104 remote control communication library is based on the IEC 60870-5-104 protocol.
The remote control system enables communication between the control center and substation via a standard TCP/IP network. You can also use transmission via DSL, SHDSL, GPRS, EDGE, and 3G.
With PLC for Fieldbuses and Ethernet, Phoenix Contact offers a flexible system structure that covers a wide range of application options in a centralized or distributed format. Thanks to a compact design and numerous supported protocols, Phoenix Contact PLC is ideal for applications where compact size and high-quality is required at a competitive price.
Fig 1 : How Phoneix Contact’s 104 RTU works.
By combining ReSy 60870-5-104 + PLC Phoenix contact can offer possible applications for
- IEC 60870-5-104 enables data transmission via a standard network, which can communicate with multiple devices and services simultaneously.
- Full function PLC with able to communicate with field device via numerous built in protocol such as Modbus , Profibus, Profinet, etc…
- High standard of security and encryption for reliable data transmission with the FL MGUARD series of security devices from Phoenix Contact
- Smooth communication between devices from various manufacturers. The supplied interoperability list states which functions are supported.
- The remote control station can be connected redundantly to two or more higher-level control systems or remote control heads via the ReSy+ library
- Acquisition of basic data types, such as messages, commands, plus counter values with and without time stamp.
- Event-oriented communication ensures the active transmission of current events.
- Historical data backup ensures that data is logged with a time stamp.
Fig 2 : Possible solution with ReSy 104 + PLC
To find out more about our ReSy 104 solutions, just leave us your contact and we will get in touch with you shortly.
At present, control applications focus not only on reliability but also flexibility. Following current automation trends in automation 4.0, many vendors will need to improve market share in this market segment.
Interface data between third-party functions might be considered to develop parallel to improve the product quality. For controller device, we can classify its interface levels into field level and enterprises level.
Usually, there are no issues when various controller vendors need to transfer data between one to another at the field control level. This is because there are many common protocols like MODBUS, PROFIBUS and etc to exchange data easily between third-parties. However, it is a different story when there is a need to exchange some data at a higher level like in an enterprise system.
A couple of constrains when designing interface system is the data exchange rate and also the time lag which occurs. In order to maintain a high quality data exchange rate, it is often deemed necessary to utilize high-end hardware and software, resulting in a very expensive solution.
Easiest Controller for Data Exchange between Enterprise and Automation Control Level
Phoenix Contact’s controllers, right up from our basic series, have a library which is able to connect directly to a RDBMS database by providing query string patterns like common SQL script. In comparison, other controllers require additional equipment or other APIs to collect data from controller first before sending it to the target database.
Easily enable data transfer from the sensor directly to a DB with Phoenix Contact’s Controllers.
For more information on Phoenix Contact’s Controllers, send me a message and I will get in touch with you soon.
Now, a standard industrial PC can handle any control task. The PC Worx RT Basic software PLC from Phoenix Contact transforms any industrial PC into a fully fledged control system. Programming, visualization, and control can therefore be combined in just one device.
One of our EDUNet partners in Singapore, ITE College East has submitted an entry to Xplore Automation Award. Their submission, entitled “Learning PLC in an Authentic Learning Environment” can be viewed below.
Today we will share with you 5 good reasons for using Phoenix Contact’s Mini-Analog. Read on to find out why!