Have you ever encountered the following situations?
- Machine stops suddenly due to contaminated sensor/actuator
- Stopping the machine in order to change to another color detection (or other parameters) on the sensor
- Stopping the machine when replacing a faulty sensor in order to set the parameter of the new sensor
What if you can…
- Re-parameterize the sensor without shutting the machine down
- Replace a new sensor with the previous parameters automatically downloaded without shutting the machine down
The above is made possible due to the IO Link technology. IO Link is a standardized IO-technology (based on IEC 61131-9) focusing the communication between field devices and sensors & actuators. This enables the exchange of both process data and service data between the connection and sensor/actuator. With the IO Link technology, devices can now identify and configure themselves automatically. This will enable an easy replacement of defective components and reduces downtime significantly.
An IO-Link system consists of the following basic components:
- IO-Link master
- IO-Link devices
- Standard 3-wire sensor cable/actuator cable
Phoenix Contact offers a comprehensive IP20 and IP67 portfolio of IO-Link masters, IO-Link devices, cabling, and software.
If you need further consultation on your next IO-Link application, please do not hesitate to drop us a message.