Written by Pradeep Menon – Business Development Manager – Energy and Infrastructure at PHOENIX CONTACT Middle East
Reliable solutions for wastewater treatment: Pump automation technology with PumpControl
Water pipes are required almost everywhere, especially for water and wastewater distribution. There are several types of water pipes in well-built and constructed water distribution networks, including large diameter main pipes, which supply entire cities, smaller branch lines supplying a street or group of buildings, or small diameter pipes within individual buildings.
Installation of efficient and reliable methods for wastewater treatment plants is one of the main challenges of our time
Wastewater treatment plants are supplied with wastewater from sewer systems. These sewer systems can be extended for many Kilometers via pipe distribution networks so that the wastewater can pumped into the treatment plant. There are several pumping stations with installed pumps that aids the flow to move in the right direction. Every single pump has to have a control system, to ensure operational reliability.
Pump control application from Phoenix Contact
The main task for these pumps is to pump the wastewater from the tank under the ground to a wastewater treatment plant. For this application Phoenix Contact developed a solution called „PumpControl“. This solution is perfect for pumping stations up to four pumps. It includes industry-specific functions, to ensure an efficient operation of this pumping stations. The solution has a Touch Panel for parametrization and monitoring the whole process. All important parameters and functions can be changed and parametrized over this TP. The customers can choose an integrated GSM Modem to establish a connection to the SCADA system by using a OPC UA remote protocol. Here there are some benefits:
- The predictive maintenance information will help to reduce the repair cost of the components and pumps.
- Due to the remote interface you can send all important information to a SCADA system or by SMS to 3rd person.
- Ready-to-use solution app to control and monitor typical pumping station with up to four pumps. The app is available in the PLCnext Store and can be downloaded directly to a PLCnext Control. Link to Store: www.plcnextstore.com
- The app contains industry-specific functions. The parameters can be set via the integrated PLC Next eHMI. The eHMI also visualizes all important information about the pumping station.
- The integrated Proficloud interface transmits all important information, alarms and operating data to a dashboard or to the customers’ SCADA system. In addition, all data can be sent directly to the customer’s SCADA system via OPC UA.
For more information, please visit the website or contact Pradeep Menon at email@example.com.
It’s interesting to know that wastewater pumps would be installed in several stations to help with the proper flow in the right direction. I guess I would be looking for this kind of system for my property when it is installed in my new home. It will give me peace of mind that the house will be safe from certain issues that can also affect our health in the long run.